What's the Senior Center Village? Neighbors on Vashon coming together to:
- help each other… and be able to ask for help when you need it.
- connect, make friends, and support each other.
- enjoy community!
It can be a simple as creating a neighborhood phone tree.
It can be as grand as having regular neighborhood potlucks, taking trips in the Village bus and more.
The Senior Center's Neighbor to Neighbor and Bluebird Programs are now under the Village umbrella!
When you need a ride to a medical appointment off island, a ride on island for any reason, or help with chores or shopping, now you can call upon the Senior Center Village.
Contact Villages Manager Fran Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 485-4335 to enroll.
Read on for more info!
- The Village Manager: Fran can help you with signing up, with technology and access, with organizing events and trips and more.
- The Village van: Villages can use the brand-new 10 passenger van to take field trips. Grandparents and grandkids can go to the zoo or Northwest Trek, a group can see a play or go to a museum… whatever you imagine!
- A dedicated neighborhood email routed through the Senior Center (such as email@example.com) - so that neighborhood leaders can communicate with their neighbors easily.
- A neighborhood iPad: to help village leaders sign up or orient new members, help someone access the Helpful Village website, email all the members with neighborhood news.
- This Helpful Village website: a way to stay in touch with each other and a way for people who need help to ask for it easily.
In a nutshell: The Senior Center provides the Village Manager and all administrative support: funding, liability insurance, background checks for Village Volunteers, technology and software, and everything listed above!
Ready to Enroll? Click here!
A Brief History and Thanks: The Village to Village movement began 20 years ago in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston. Now there are Villages across the United States. To learn more, visit: vtvnetwork.org. Thanks to a grant from the King County Veterans, Seniors and Human Services Levy, the Vashon Senior Center is able to help neighborhoods on Vashon-Maury create their own Villages. So we can all grow older together.
Funding for this program is provided by